Where's the song ~~ "Don't let your daughters grow up to marry a Cowboy" ?

​​​​​​​Life is tough! Requires hard physical work, long, long days of pain, dirt, and broken fingernails.​
​Days of frigid cold & scorching heat; through the dust & mud; daybreak into the darkness of nite~~​
​the heart & body becomes toughened & weathered replicating leather!​
​A forever constant factor for a real Cowboy's Wife is tons of sweat, oceans of tears and a constant 'drought' in the wallet!​
​​
​​
​​
​​​​​​​​​IF​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ she wants to spend anytime at all with her Cowboy, she must do as he does, you become partners!​
​​
​​
​​
​​
​​​​​​Kick off your boots, grab a cup of coffee, sit back and envision yourself in my life!​
​... It really isn't that bad! There are many rewards to be had to make it a great lifestyle! ...​ ​​​​​​​


Friday, July 4, 2008

How Much Pain...

...can a Cowboy sustain, if a Cowboy tried to refrain?



A Horse Bite!
Think I'm quitting the job as a Cowboy's Wife!
Or he needs to change his occupation!
Here, the picture tells you why!
A 2 year old that arrived here 9 days ago, is the cause! He belongs to some inexperienced stallion owners and just wanted to get 3 of their mares bred before bringing him here, (which, after 2 months of trying, he did up until one week before he arrived here). He was gelded 2 days before! So, the testosterone levels in him are still very powerful.

I was just fixing to come in the house & start supper, but paused momentarily to watch Hubby working with this colt. For nine days, this colt has responded so well to everything, no arguments, no attitude!
All was quiet, I could tell he was responding...Topper had just turned and 'faced' Hubby...as is the idea. I took one step up to the porch, glanced over and saw Hubby reaching to touch Topper's face (in praise) as he always does when they 'face' him..........................
.......excuse me here, but OH MY GOD!!!!! .......
Topper reared in the air, front legs flailing down at Hubby's shoulders....mouth wide open & teeth a flaring! Just like you see in the movies a stallion on the fight! The impact of the hooves striking Hubby was dropping him to the ground at the same time the teeth were biting at his face & neck! Which could be the good part! Hubby's falling didn't allow to teeth to embed any deeper than they did. (From the picture, you can see the whole mouth imprint-back side of neck, over jaw & front side of neck.)
I ran ~faster than I can even~ through 3 gates I didn't bother to open...barefoot, through the weeds and the rocks!! When I got to the arena Hubby was crumpled in the dust flat on his back...gasping.
Topper, thankfully....oh Thank you, God...had quit his attack as quickly as he'd begun it, and was just standing over my Cowboy. I didn't even think as I climbed through the panels about protecting myself from Topper, just needed to get to Hubby!
I helped get him up, VERY carefully and out of the arena, slowly very slowly, over to the porch of his tack shed. Made him sit there, assessed that he didn't have a gaping hole in his neck, but could tell that the hooves striking him, pile drove his whole body & head into the dirt.
He is as stubborn as I, regarding Doctors. Says he'll be Ok, didn't want to go...too far to have to drive...
I proceeded, yep stupid me, still barefoot and numb to it....to put the filly, which was tied to the hitching rail, back in her pen. Got all the horses fed and watered, constantly glancing over to make sure Hubby was still conscience. Left Topper where he was...halter, lead rope and Cowboy hat...in the dust.
Will let you know what tomorrow brings...my Cowboy can barely lift a glass of water (actually can't...has to lean into it to drink!). Cannot stand or lay straight...pain like in a rib in upper chest, and sounds like he has laryngitis. Can barely talk!
No doctor yet, he says. "probably just strained muscles" .......
He's been hurt so much over the years, and knows his own body pretty well....but there is always that first time....you might be wrong! ( I keep checking....making sure he is still breathing...no gurgling...I am just so thankful that those teeth didn't get a solid hit to chomp down on !!!!)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! That is AWFUL! I hope he's going to be ok. Keep an eye on him and insist that he see a doctor if things don't improve.

Also, I wanted to stop over here and thank you for such kind words of support and encouragement in regards to my post about the transplant. I am overwhelmed by the generosity of people like you, whom I've never met, but prove to be friends in the truest sense of the word. Thank you!

Train Wreck said...

OMG! I can't even imagine! I would've shot that horse on the spot! I hope your husband is ok, I agree with Terri, he needs to see a doctor! He could have internal injuries! You need me to come over and help you hog tie your cowboy (gently of course) and take him to the doctor? Also, get rid of that horse! They are so unpredictable! My "Trainwreck" was still a stud when we bought him, he is gorgeous, great bloodlines and built like a Mac truck. I refused to keep him a stud! If I can't trust him with our kids, it's not worth it! They are a liability. Unless you are set up to keep them, and it is your business. There are plenty of great studs out there to bred your mares to. There is no need to "just have one" Black Stallion was a movie people!! Please keep us updated on your husbands progress. You take it easy too!

Greyhound Girl said...

OMG! That's horrible- I hope that you can override his own cowboy instinct and take him to the doc, just for YOUR peace of mind!

Keep us updated and you take care of yourself too!

LL said...

Bahhhh... he'll be alright... you couldn't hurt him with a 30-30. ;)

Just make sure that all the bones are solid and that the neck is just bruisED and not bruisING. ING would mean it's still bleeding and you need to go to town.

Proud cut horses are definitely more dangerous than you'd think. Wish HOW the best for me.

Mrs. Mom said...

Whoa... I am with Train Wreck- if he was your colt, I'd shoot him. If he is a client horse, they have 24 hrs to come get his sorry a$$. Colts like that are a bad scene.... as you know.

Give Cowboy a rub (when he can stand it, )from the Southland here, and let him know we wish a speedy, speedy recovery.

Ya know, an incident like that woulda killed a lesser person. Being tough as old barbed wire has its advantages, eh?

Heal him up quick WOW- and stay safe the both of you!

Sarah said...

Holy heck. Glad he's okay...at least for the most part. I can't imagine witnessing that or having it happen to me.

It's amazing how our adrenaline takes over and we can do things we didn't think possible.

Train Wreck said...

Hey! When you get a min, and aren't tendin your fella. I have something for you. Not sure if I did it "right?" Sorry it's not a vacation on a nice beach! Where the only studs there are cabana boys!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, how frightening! Oh why do people have studs who don't know how to work with them from the very beginning? Had that colt been trained from day one -- your poor husband would have had no problem whatsoever! All of our studs were taught to stand in the corners of their stalls when humans entered. They were playful but never aggressive. I am so glad that your husband appears to be okay but what a terrifying experience.

Blessings to you this July 4th! I'm keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.

-Lacy

Rue said...

Oh God! I'm glad he's okay!!

It's so odd when horses do that. I've only seen it a couple of times, but when they do it's frightening. I'd get him to a doctor anyway. Just tell him you're going to the store like you would a kid ;)

rue

The W.O.W. factor! said...

TerriTerri--Thank you for your thoughts, but what is going on in your life is more powerful, and my heart goes out to you! And my prayers!

TrainWreck--first of all, can I steal your "name"? Think it fits me pretty good today! He is not our horse, came for 120+days riding. He is gelded, like 2 days before arriving here, but bred several mares the week before being gelded! So, he doesn't know yet he's a gelding...help hog tie? I'm game if you are..you know men when in pain, they can fight like a tiger!LOL
I'm headed over 'you way' when I'm done here...No warm sandy beach? where I can be pampered & waited on by some gorgeous hunk??? Darn the luck!

Professor--override? doubt it...out manuevor? maybe. Out smart? I CAN do that, & come Mon. I will if need be!

LL--no more bruis-ING..I kept watch! Thx...hadn't thought of that before! And you sound like him "not even a 30-30 would get him down"!

Mrs Mom--I left a message on the owners phone, and emailed them also, sending them the pix! No word yet.Tough as barbed wire? That he is, you would never imagine just HOW many times we've been through these kinds of scenarios! (now that makes me one really "tough ol' Bird" as the grandkids call me!)
No matter what some of the pop. think...a horse can hurt you worse than you can them!

Sarah--yea, and it sucks when the adrenaline wears off! When you realize what you've just done & shouldn't have done...barefoot!

Lacy--you know, the sad part is these people kept him isolated, no interaction with other horses for him to get the crap kicked out of him a few times! Then...to say how SWEET he is...and gives them kisses! Sorry.......kissses from a stallion??? Makes one wonder why THEY didn't get hurt! Get their face bit off!

Rue--that is exactly what I'm going to do Mon...if I think I need to! I CAN outsmart him!Men are gullible like kids sometimes..esp mentioning food!... :)

Mikey said...

Gosh, that's a good one there! Trainwreck pointed me this way to show me that. Your hubby's one heck of a man!
We're farriers over this way, and I got tagged by a stud too, http://thehorseshoeinghousewife.blogspot.com/2008/07/i-have-returned.html

so tell hubby he's not the only one lately. I didn't get it as bad as him though.
Will be back!! Love your blog!

Amanda said...

Somehow I missed this post. That is just so scarey, horses can be so dangerous. It reminds me of an incident in Montana that still freaks me out when I think of it. A woman was riding her gelding with others on a trailride. She had had the horse for years with never an incident. All was well till he suddenly started bucking, he got her off and proceeded to attack and stomped her to death. He stood over her body after he killed her and no one could get near. They had to shoot him to retrieve her body. How sad is that? I met her daughter and she said they never could determine what set him off.

Amanda said...

Somehow I missed this post. That is just so scarey, horses can be so dangerous. It reminds me of an incident in Montana that still freaks me out when I think of it. A woman was riding her gelding with others on a trailride. She had had the horse for years with never an incident. All was well till he suddenly started bucking, he got her off and proceeded to attack and stomped her to death. He stood over her body after he killed her and no one could get near. They had to shoot him to retrieve her body. How sad is that? I met her daughter and she said they never could determine what set him off.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your cowboy sounds like one tough cookie! Did everything end up ok with both your husband and the horse?