Where's the song ~~ "Don't let your daughters grow up to marry a Cowboy" ?

​​​​​​​Life is tough! Requires hard physical work, long, long days of pain, dirt, and broken fingernails.​
​Days of frigid cold & scorching heat; through the dust & mud; daybreak into the darkness of nite~~​
​the heart & body becomes toughened & weathered replicating leather!​
​A forever constant factor for a real Cowboy's Wife is tons of sweat, oceans of tears and a constant 'drought' in the wallet!​
​​
​​
​​
​​​​​​​​​IF​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ she wants to spend anytime at all with her Cowboy, she must do as he does, you become partners!​
​​
​​
​​
​​
​​​​​​Kick off your boots, grab a cup of coffee, sit back and envision yourself in my life!​
​... It really isn't that bad! There are many rewards to be had to make it a great lifestyle! ...​ ​​​​​​​


Wednesday, July 2, 2008

And the Sun Sets...



...ending another glorious day for A Cowboy's Wife!

or was it??? Let's back track...the day was July 1, 2008.....yesterday!
(If you don't like to walk backwards in time, go to the beginning ...
... at the end and read up!)

-9:35pm: Sitting on the front porch, our appetites satisfied with Spaghetti Carbonara, we 'noticed' the mess...we never got to today...shook our heads and said "Oh well...there is always tomorrow!"
We both agreed that today-the tempers, the frustrations, the work...are much easier to cope with on a cold 0* day after a long nights sleep, than it is on a 101* summer day, after very little sleep! I'm Ok now...Cowboy is Ok now...power is working, A/C is running (only the 3rd time I've turned it on...hate the higher power bills so I use sparingly!), all the animals seem content, nothing died, we're alive & sitting on our front porch...together!
I'm savoring my 4th cup of coffee (6th for the day)...I noticed the sun was setting over the wheat fields in the distance. Since calm had come back to my senses...I DID think about that danged camera that I never seem to have handy...so seeing the sunset, I did the best I & the camera can do....
"The Calm AFTER the Storm"
Tomorrow is yet another day....

-6:55 pm: Ok, all the chickens are SAFELY back in their pen. They were relieved, and so was I! We had to fix their pen also...seems as somewhere in the midnight riot, one of the horses must have kicked through their pen leaving a gaping hole. The "Girls" got their "rights" read to them...once they realized all that hollering was directed at them to STOP! They are now safe in their kennels...to contemplate their day! The good & the bad! Our bellies are screaming for supper...and my mind reminds me I have NOT had my daily quota of coffee!

-5:30 pm: Horses unsaddled, bathed & turned out. Hmmmmmm...we haven't even begun to do MY "yard chores"....I'm thinking.. "...bet it don't happen today!" As that thought flew passed my brain..we saw Tess chasing...a chicken! They had gotten out sometime between 11: am & now! She listens pretty well, yet sometimes she has a brain fart & forgets she's being spoken (or hollered) to! This was one of those times! Chaos! Squaking & feathers filled the air! Millie decided she wanted to be in on the action too! You all know how them "Teen years" are! Ol' Man Mac, knows better, so he just found the best seat in the house and watched...I'm sure he was thinking "Ok you young pups...you're in for a lesson on discipline!"

-4:20 pm: Arrived back home...after having had to load up two horses, haul over to "Mr. & Mrs", and set out to find & gather OUR Momma cow & her calf, along with the 2 newly weaned from the bottle/to butcher calves of theirs. They didn't like the storm either, I'd guess! Luckily, they were found on the CRP to the south and NOT the wheat fields to the north & west! We got the buggers back, had to clean out their water troughs of mud...and repair more fences! I have to say Tess and Millie did a great job helping! (pretty much the only Plus of the day so far!)

-11:45 am: Finishing our lunch, the phone rings...."uh-oh" , I hear Hubby say, "we'll be right there"...the Uh-Oh.......sent prickly sensations through my spine...I knew those words meant something NOT fun was about to happen!

-11:00 am: Just got done with the "horse chores"! Whew! Aside from the normal cleaning & feeding, there was water troughs to be cleaned from all the mud created by the Haboob, horses to be caught, and doctored, fences to be mended & pens put back where they used to be! Quite appearent, the horses did NOT enjoy the storm either! They got all rawled up & went berserk! It's a domino effect...only takes ONE to stir the whole pot! We'll never know which one started it...doesn't matter, "damage" was done. One gate was bent & barely hanging; two horses were 'roaming' on the CRP bordering us (Cowboy forgot to shut that gate when he came back in from riding the day before! Bet he doesn't forget again, you are thinking...but I know him...he will!); the fence between one young filly & a gelding was "sagging", t-posts bent..and they were together. The gelding must have created that mess, as he is the one that needed doctoring. Luckily, nothing too serious, as wire is known to do. Cowboy had to get out the scissors & then do some stitching. He'll be fine, just looks ugly!The only horse here that seemed to keep his cool was the 2 year old stallion going to Hawaii! Thank goodness!!

-7:30 am: Having finished a light breakfast of eggs, toast and peaches, we grumpily agreed that more would be accomplished, productively, if we joined forces. I will help Cowboy do all the "horse chores" because there was going to be more than usual. (We heard the ruccous in the dark quiet hours, but there was no use doing anything about it until morning). He will help me to the "yard chores" seeing branches and tumbleweeds EVERYWHERE! Without wandering around the premises...I could only imagine what else took place...but I'll check that out AFTER the "horse chores"...no point in getting more stressed!

TUES July 1, 2008-6:30 am: Grrrrr! DID NOT sleep well! We had a horrible wind storm come through last nite, lost the power about midnite & it stayed off for 2.5 hours, temp's hovered around 88*in the bedroom,living room~ everywhere! Felt like I was in AZ again! Complete with the Haboob! We sat on the front porch assessing the whole situation afore us, drinking our coffee! Neither of us speaking for fear our lack of REM sleep would cause us to take slashes at the world around us, including each other!
"HABOOB" def: The word "haboob" comes from the Arabic word habb, meaning “wind.” A haboob is a wall of dust as a result of a microburst or downburst. The air forced downward is pushed forward by the front of a thunderstorm cell, dragging dust and debris with it, as it travels across the terrain.
Haboobs occur mostly during the summer months . These dust storms are much more serious than dust devils. The wind during a haboob is usually up to about 30 mph and dust can rise high into the air as it blows over the Valley. A haboob can last for up to three hours . There various degrees of dust storms, but the haboob is the largest and most dangerous.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank God we don't have these haboob things here ... What a day! How many horses do you have? How many miles of fencing do you have to maintain? We just had our electric machine damaged in a thunderstorm. Yep, those we do have here! Just like you we have some incredible neighbors that have always helped us and who have become dear friends. So they borrowed us their reserve electric fence machine. Especially because we have one Lusitanian stallion who is very nice but I somehow feel more comfortable with his paddock well fenced and ticking ... A matter of just breeding to the mares we want to to have foals from. Good you got your camera out! Keep making pictures, this one was already good! You're lucky that I'm so tired that my eyes are actually closing by themselves otherwise I would keep on writing ;-)
You too, have a wonderful day!

LL said...

Dang... I felt like I was watching Memento!

The W.O.W. factor! said...

LL-Had me there...had to go see what the heck Memento was! So..are you saying you suffer from short term memory loss and this brings some of them back? OR..are you avenging the murder of your wife?..OR..are you saying this is "complicated head spinning adventure" having to read backwards? I warned you up front..LOL!

Jeannelle said...

Very interesting post! I like your idea of writing it in reverse chronological order, although it required some reshuffling in my brain....which is good exercise!

Sounds like you had quite the busy day. I think I'd be konked out by 9:35 p.m. after all that! I know very little about horses, so its fun to read about them here.

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Jeannelle..LOL! I had to reshuffle my brain too..!

Karen..I'll "meet" you over at your blog...

Pearl said...

Hi Barb...

Thank you, kindly, for visiting my blog and for leaving such a thoughtful comment. Please know that you're welcome, anytime.

I'm wondering how you, or why you, wrote your post backward?! I tried to read it as is, but was unsuccessful... LOL ...I can see that I'll have to stop back another time and give it a shot, again! As you may have guessed... it doesn't take much to confuse me ~chuckles~ I hope you have a wonderful evening and a safe holiday... Take care!

~blessings~
Pearl

Anonymous said...

Haboob.. sounds like an experience! I can't imagine using that word around my husband -- he would be giggling and snorting like a 13 year old boy!

Blessings!
Lacy

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Pearl~WHY did I write it this way? Not sure, other than the day ended with a glorious sunset...so thought I should 'start' there.
the HOW? I cheated & wrote it in WORD first! :) Don't feel bad..my Hubby got confused too..so I read it 'from the bottom up' to him!

Lacy~I can hear him giggling now! The first time in AZ when we witnessed one of these Haboobs, my Hubby had to ask several times to make sure he heard right!

Anonymous said...

You are a "Senfield" fan aren't you!! LOL! Very intersting to read! I am glad you didn't get blown away!! Now Believe me when I tell you to sleep IN!! (I am sitting here with a bag of frozen corn on my little piggy toe!! I'm sleepin in tomorrow!

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

And it's those days that make sunsets even more beautiful :)

(Thanks for stopping by my blog!)

Rue said...

I remember those days when my mom had a ranch. Mind you, it was only 60 acres, but we did have a herd of black angus, pigs, goats, horses and chickens. A storm would hit and caos would insue.... I miss it sometimes, but not when that happened LOL

Beautiful sunset! Oh and you can adopt me as long as you let me ride the horses. I miss it :)

rue

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Rue~ Ok, consider yourself adopted!

LL said...

What? I'm sorry... I don't remember... :P

Greyhound Girl said...

This sounds like "one of those days" that in the end feels sort of apropos and perfect... though tiring! And the poor horses- I would gladly sign up to help with horse chores anytime. (Even though I loathe getting 'dirty' if it involves a horse, then I never seem to care!!!)

Wonderful post and I adore your sunset... Can't wait to hear what tomorrow brings!

(And sorry I haven't been around- believe it or not, I have been busy even though it's summer break!)