Where's the song ~~ "Don't let your daughters grow up to marry a Cowboy" ?

​​​​​​​Life is tough! Requires hard physical work, long, long days of pain, dirt, and broken fingernails.​
​Days of frigid cold & scorching heat; through the dust & mud; daybreak into the darkness of nite~~​
​the heart & body becomes toughened & weathered replicating leather!​
​A forever constant factor for a real Cowboy's Wife is tons of sweat, oceans of tears and a constant 'drought' in the wallet!​
​​
​​
​​
​​​​​​​​​IF​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ she wants to spend anytime at all with her Cowboy, she must do as he does, you become partners!​
​​
​​
​​
​​
​​​​​​Kick off your boots, grab a cup of coffee, sit back and envision yourself in my life!​
​... It really isn't that bad! There are many rewards to be had to make it a great lifestyle! ...​ ​​​​​​​


Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Breath of Fall...

...is whispering against my cheeks!

This morning was cleansed by last night's storm.
The fields looked alive again, even in their golden state.
That which had become accustomed to wearing dusty green, had returned to it's natural glorious hue (which happens to be my favorite color!).
The air was crisp, the lawn littered with fallen leaves from Locust trees.
I dug deep into my dresser in search of a sweater, grabbed my abandoned slippers and headed for my front porch.
There, with the rich aroma of my morning coffee,
the quiet sounds of horses content with feed,
an inner sense of a season's end, surrounded my being.
I allowed the love, yet hate, thoughts to traverse my mind.

The many flowers are getting tired, the harassing weeds are prospering.
(Here, I take responsibility for the demise and regrowth thereof.)
The horses have begun shedding their summer coats.
The young quail are finally out and displaying their crests.
Trees are turning color and Chrysanthemums are budding.
The many nests have been abandoned, and the skies more dotted.
Pumpkins are becoming more orange each day;
Rhubarb is dying back quickly to replenish the Earth.

~This year....
As Winter's chill lingered on too long,
I yearned for Spring and the renewal of life!
As Summer's heat has drained my energy, I long for Fall's parade of colors!

~This year....
What seemed like a Winter that wouldn't quit,
it now feels like a Summer that needs some closure.

~This year....
It's only August, yet I welcome these early changes.


~This year....

21 comments:

Renie Burghardt said...

Hey Barb,

The old song says "at the end of a storm, is a golden sky..."

Our scorching hot weather has moved on as well, and it's been beautifully pleasant with a hint of fall in the air. Love it! But I don't love what follows fall.

Lovely post. Have a wonderful Sunday.

Hugs,

Renie

Sarah said...

You write beautifully! This post exactly how I was feeling yesterday too. The air has been much cooler this week and the sky seems to be getting bluer (is that a word?). Bring on autumn!

Mrs. Mom said...

Even here in the Southland, right on the coast, we are seeing the start of Fall changes WOW. Last night, while the boys were sleeping in the camper and I was looking at the lake, I swore I could smell it in the air.

Beautiful post WOW. Just beautiful. We too, look forward to the change of the seasons!

LatigoLiz said...

Noooo...no fall yet! My horse started shedding summer coat in early July. I need at least another month of summer please. 80° plus would be nice.

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous post!

You are a very talented writer!

I wanted to thank you for your kind words regarding the adoption. You are too kind. How did you know just what I needed to hear?

Thank you.

Blessings!
Lacy

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful description of your surroundings and your feelings. I can understand what you're feeling to some degree. But sitting here in Minnesota, everything in ME is still screaming, "I'm not ready for summer to be over yet!"

Sage said...

My favourite time of year is Autumn approaching. The crispness of the mornings, but still the warmth in the day. The changing colours and the gradual sleepiness of the landscape..

Shirley said...

My first time at your blog; I really enjoy your lyrical writing style.
Our horses started shedding the second week of July; looks like an early winter is in store. Not quite ready for the end of summer yet, though; we're still waiting for a stretch of hot weather for more than 24 hours without rain so the local farmers can put up hay fit for horses!
From one coffee lover to another,have a great day!

Jenn said...

*sigh* beautiful post.
We are changing awfully soon. I noticed it is getting cooler at night (we don't get this weather until mid to late september) and we are able to sit on the porch in the morning. It is gonna be a cold winter!

And yes... ya r not alone in blogging to post hello! :)

Jenn said...

and what is up with everyone shedding summer coats? My horses don't shed their summer coats, not that I know of... but they don't get a real think winter one either!

Rue said...

Hi Barb :)

That was a lovely post. I'm ready for fall too. It's much cooler here in Ohio, which I find odd. I'm dreading an Indian Summer because of it and I so hope it doesn't come this year. I'd love to see pictures of those golden fields :)

hugs,
DADR rue

LL said...

That's because you're in Georgia Jenny... there is no winter in Georgia. :P

Fall is rapidly approaching... but I can wait a long time for winter!

Jenn said...

We do too have a winter. It gets cold enough to blanket the horses (well one winter anyway). Pbbblbth

Train Wreck said...

Beautiful WOW! You are a poet! I loved reading through this post! I am glad to see you are online again!! Keeping you in my daily thoughts and prayers!

Amanda said...

I have really enjoyed your blog and your life is similiar to ours when it comes to moving every two years. Hubby is from Montana, I am from Louisiana, met in Washington, moved to various places in Washington, then to Montana, then to Texas, back to Montana , back to Washington and now we are moving up to the north central part of the state and hope to stay permanently. All our lives we have been admonished to settle down but something in our blood prevented it, now it is all we can think of. My worry is we will and then that urge to explore new places will surge again and we will be stuck!!!

Anonymous said...

somewhere where the L-rd closes a door.. He opens a window

git 'r done blessings

gp in montana

Greyhound Girl said...

What a lovely post. And I too long for fall and winter. I'm a winter baby and happiest in the cool and cold and when the snow is flying.

Off to read more posts!

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb! Just a quick comment before I'm going to bake my hubbie's birthday cake. I love autum, the smells, the mushrooms, the sense of loss and gratefulness. Others said it and I can only agree, your writing is absolutely wonderful! It's poetical and witty and fun to read, thanks!

Jimmie Earl said...

Been reading your blog for a while off and on. This post had to be one of the best ones I have read anywhere lately. You are so poetic. I can't imagine fall coming so soon. Here in Area 52, it's still hot and miserable, but just night before last I told my son it seemed like I could feel fall in the air. Is that possible? Keep up the wonderful writing. (By the way, Professor is my daughter.)
JE

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Many thanks to all of you...for visiting, for your sweet comments. Just don't get me wrong...I am willing to skip Winter! Fall thru January, Spring begins in Feb...

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written, no other words needed...