Where's the song ~~ "Don't let your daughters grow up to marry a Cowboy" ?

​​​​​​​Life is tough! Requires hard physical work, long, long days of pain, dirt, and broken fingernails.​
​Days of frigid cold & scorching heat; through the dust & mud; daybreak into the darkness of nite~~​
​the heart & body becomes toughened & weathered replicating leather!​
​A forever constant factor for a real Cowboy's Wife is tons of sweat, oceans of tears and a constant 'drought' in the wallet!​
​​
​​
​​
​​​​​​​​​IF​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ she wants to spend anytime at all with her Cowboy, she must do as he does, you become partners!​
​​
​​
​​
​​
​​​​​​Kick off your boots, grab a cup of coffee, sit back and envision yourself in my life!​
​... It really isn't that bad! There are many rewards to be had to make it a great lifestyle! ...​ ​​​​​​​


Saturday, August 9, 2008

Flashes lit up the horizons...

...and wreaked havoc below!!

WHAT a storm it was that passed through tonight!

Figures!

I had about 9 of your Blogs pulled, so far, loaded on separate tabs...computer, Internet, Blogger all seemed to be cooperating with me...I was loading 2 more as I was cooking supper. I planned to get as many uploaded & ready to read after eating without having that long waiting process of me perched in this hard chair, twiddling my thumbs & feeling anxiety scratching at my temples! My plan was working!

CRACKLE! BOOM!! CRASH!! KABAM!!

The power went out instantly!

"Dang it all!" was my first thought! after all that work,
now the computer and all the tabs are shut down!
Oh well....

One minute of solid crashes, bams, booms & crackling...the sky was lit up like day light! The house shuttered, the dogs searched for the deepest darkest corners...

Three minutes passed...no let up! Streaks etched themselves in vicious directions. Sheet lightning was piercing through the clouds.

It was ominous.

Cowboy calmly asked if our insurance was paid up on the house....
"yes of course!"
Is it enough to replace/rebuild?...
"I think so.. "
Good, he snickers, then let's hope it strikes us so we can down size this monstrous house!

Hubby was bootin' himself up to get ready for an animal stampede, I think. (he didn't tell me that, I'm just mentally preparing for the worse ya know!)

Me? I grabbed my purse, my cash stash, my car keys...and yes, LL, even my shoes! I placed them all by the door for immediate access should one of those angry streaks strike our house!

The rain was drenching...

I did take time to notice the wonderful smell rains provides when it is so rare to have.
Only for a moment though.
When the dust & chaff of summer is tempered...
Mmmm it's a fragrance that should be captured in a candle!

Five minutes are gone. It continues to stay bright outside!

We noticed the cows in the distance, launching themselves off the hillsides toward a draw.

The horses were squealing! Running! Carrying on (except two) stirring up dust & each other!

The thundering of their hooves were probably heard for miles around..if there was anyone that close to hear!

Even the chickens bolted from their nightly roosts & began squawking & flapping feathers around inside their coop!

Ten minutes; twenty minutes; 35 minutes long! That's how long this storm hovered overhead of us!

We have never seen the likes of before! The intensity was fierce!

I am thinking, luckily, there was some rain...
...luckily the wheat farmers ~in our area~ are done harvesting for the most part.
I do not smell the scent of smoke, nor do I see a red glow to the now darkness of night.

Morning could bring another story. ( I pray not!)
We already have 2 severely injured horses we are doctoring.
We don't need anymore!


****************************
Other news....
I won a prize! I don't think I've ever won a single thing in my whole time on earth!
And it's all because I L-O-V-E my coffee!!!
(in case you haven't figured that out by now... )


More Importantly than winning this prize from The OriginalCoffeeCompanyOnline,
I have "Won" a very dear friend!!

11 comments:

Midlife Mom said...

Oh my, that sounds like just a horrible storm!!!! I think I would have been right out in the barn with my horses as they can tend to wind each other up during a storm if I'm not there calming them. Babies! Buddy is fine if you throw him a flake of hay, nothing comes before his eating mind you! lol!

I get most of my graphics from a company called Hug Bug. I think if you click on it at the bottom right hand of my sidebar where the credits are it will bring the site up for you. They have TONS of stuff and I am a graphics junkie so we get along great!

troutbirder said...

I found your comments about our families nowdays living so far apart touched a chord. Our grandchildren are 800 miles from us.
troutbirder

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog and enjoy your musings. We had a storm last night, but didnt lose any power. Thunder, lightening, torrents of rain. Today everything smells fresh and the dust has been washed off or settled in some spots. I'll be back.

Rue said...

Hi Barb :)

Congratulations on winning. Until I started blogging, I had never won before either.

We had a storm come through like that about 3 days ago at 2am. I woke up to the whole house shaking and the room turned white like a flash. Amazing storm.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he remains positive and kicks it's butt. My prayers go out to you my friend.

Big hugs,
DADR rue

Jenn said...

Welcome back, again! Sounds like a heck of a storm you had, glad you got a chance to post on my blog before everything went haywire!

Congrats on our blog award!

LL said...

So you're the one that sent it down this way. I was wondering who to blame...

BTW, we'll take all of them you can send us. ;)

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

Boy , you have had one heck of a time with your computer hookup haven't you ? You might need an exorcist maybe , to get the devils out of it ! hehehehe I'm just kidding you !

The W.O.W. factor! said...

MidlifeMom~the horses aren't in a barn, just pastures & they covered every sq/in last nite!

Troutbird~Thx for visiting! Hate having faily so spread across the country!

SaddleMtn~Thx for stopping over!
See you are WA too! You must have sent it our way!

DADR~You are so sweet Rue! What would life be without you!

Jenny~actually I posted last nite AFTER the storm calmed & I got this computer back up to at least 1/2 speed! MODAY...DISH says they'll be here...we'll see...

LL~Will send all your way,MINUS the rain! I hate lightning in dry country!

Theresa~Hey you might be onto something! Anyone know any Exorcists??

Renie Burghardt said...

Wow, that was quite a storm, Barb! And I hope the severely injured horses are doing well. Congrats on winning the Bloggiveaway. I won a Watkins Basket a couple of months ago. It was a nice surprise. I am scared to death of severe storms, especially if they come at night, and they usually do.

Your words are so descriptive. It draws the reader in totally!

Take care, and Hugs,

Renie

Anonymous said...

I love storms like that. I always rather enjoy them from the "safety" of my suburban surroundings. I guess it doesn't often occur to me that for someone like you, such a storm could pose a much more serious danger. Glad you came through it all ok!

Train Wreck said...

My Cowboy would've been thinking the same thing! I am glad you made it ok! I love storms as long as they are not destructive!