Where's the song ~~ "Don't let your daughters grow up to marry a Cowboy" ?

​​​​​​​Life is tough! Requires hard physical work, long, long days of pain, dirt, and broken fingernails.​
​Days of frigid cold & scorching heat; through the dust & mud; daybreak into the darkness of nite~~​
​the heart & body becomes toughened & weathered replicating leather!​
​A forever constant factor for a real Cowboy's Wife is tons of sweat, oceans of tears and a constant 'drought' in the wallet!​
​​
​​
​​
​​​​​​​​​IF​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ she wants to spend anytime at all with her Cowboy, she must do as he does, you become partners!​
​​
​​
​​
​​
​​​​​​Kick off your boots, grab a cup of coffee, sit back and envision yourself in my life!​
​... It really isn't that bad! There are many rewards to be had to make it a great lifestyle! ...​ ​​​​​​​


Friday, May 23, 2008

BEEF! It's what's for dinner!

.....so my Hubby says! He also says that if it doesn't walk on the earth's dry ground...than you shouldn't eat it! (obviously, you guessed he won't eat fish!) Yep, so that's what we had...our own home grown beef! (Roast to be exact).
Boy, there is a lot to be said for home grown anything! Be it beef, chicken, eggs, or veggies! Our beef is basically organic. They are born on our ground, raised with their Momma, brought in for weaning, and then left to grow up just grazing. Around 18 months, we bring it back in, and feed it corn (gives THEEEEEEE best flavor!), hay for minimum of 60 days, and water of course. We don't, and wouldn't even if we could afford it, vaccinate, or inject anything into the animals. They are raised like they were 100+ years ago! You know....survival of the fittest....and boy is it the bestest tasting! Healthier too, for the animal and us! Heck, we know exactly what the animals have ingested, so that is what is going into us....all natural foods!
I raise and put up all of our veggies too. Organic also! The pens where the horses, cows and chickens get kept sometimes, need to be 'cleaned', so all the proceeds get dumped in a pile out in one of the fields. The following year, after decomposing, scoopfuls (with the borrowed neighbors tractor...thank goodness) are brought in, dumped outside my fenced garden, where I then wheelbarrow it into my mounded rows and pitchfork "stir" it in. My garden's rows have always been in mound fashion. The soil warms up earlier in the Spring and they never get walked on to be compressed. Except.........by all the durned cottontails we have! I do have a compost pile too, actually 2. Coffee grounds, egg shells, some grass clippings, pulled weeds, you name it, goes there (if the goats or chickens aren't in line for it). One big pile (and I mean BIG! Like Mt. Compost!) I keep adding to, stirring and watering. My other pile, is much smaller and more manageable. I 'pull' from the big one...the what has decomposed the most...add it to the little one, more dirt, more water and more stirring....and it is ready to use at all times. I treat my flowers, my shrubs, my veggies with it! They love it!
It's been a stranger than strange Spring this year. I still won't be planting until June 5-15th. People are amazed that I don't, but ya know? My gardens always catch up and surpass most others! I do plant a few cool weather veggies for the eagerness to get gardening takes over and we did have fresh leaf lettuce and radishes for salad tonite.
Wow........wasn't going to stay on here this long! Get to talking about my passions, and I can't quit!
Spent all last nite, until 3:30am on this darned blog....'playing' and trying to change and add etc. Kind of tough to research and implement, and then change it all over again, with this slow dial-up I have! So calling it quits tonite..................

No comments: